All inclusive training programme for those wishing to become an independent custody visitor
ICVA’s new suite of training materials equips independent custody visitors with an in depth knowledge of the latest best practices required to fulfil their role - from interpersonal communication skills to the Police and Criminal Evidence Act (PACE).
The multimedia package has been designed to enable great flexibility of use and can be delivered in a way that suits local schemes. It includes a DVD demonstrating the custody visiting process, a trainer’s manual and a student workbook.
Location and schedule
Training is delivered by local police and crime commissioners and usually includes input from ICVA staff with specific expertise on related topics.
The association is keen to promote an additional half day’s training course on cultural and diversity awareness and a more intermediate level of training.
Skills & Knowledge
Independent Custody Visitors should ultimately be equipped with following skills and knowledge:
- Interpersonal communication Skills
- Listening Skills
- Questioning Skills
- Report Writing
- Health & Safety
- PRA 2002
- Criminal Procedures Act (Scotland)
- Prisoner Welfare Manual (Scotland)
- Policing Act for N. Ireland
- Criminal Justice System
- European Convention on Human Rights
- Cultural Awareness & Diversity
- Partnership Working
- Terrorism Act 2000
- PACE Code H / Criminal Procedure Scotland Act
- Coroners and Justice Act 2009 Section 117(6)
- ICV Codes of Practice (revised 2013)
Contact us for more information